Kalgan 張家口宣化 察哈爾省的歷史地理變遷
察哈爾省曾是民國時(shí)期的“塞北四省”之一,又是如今內(nèi)蒙古自治區(qū)的重要組成部分。自民國三年(1914)設(shè)置察哈爾特別行政區(qū)到1952年撤銷省建,察哈爾省存在近40年,而“察哈爾”這一區(qū)域的歷史更可遠(yuǎn)追至康熙十四年(1675)。
一、成吉思汗——林丹汗
首先需要說明的是,“察哈爾”既是一個(gè)區(qū)域概念,又是一個(gè)文化概念。要想弄清這個(gè)名詞的內(nèi)涵,需從其詞意說起。較多的資料認(rèn)為“察哈爾”一詞源自突厥語,意思是“汗之宮殿衛(wèi)士”。根據(jù)內(nèi)蒙古烏蘭察布盟察哈爾民俗博物館中的解釋,“察哈爾”是成吉思汗親自挑選的蒙古勇士組成的大汗護(hù)衛(wèi)隊(duì),這個(gè)說法似乎與突厥語的詞意是相符的。更被廣為認(rèn)可的一種解釋是察哈爾源自于湖的名稱。在張家口北部有一片湖,遼金時(shí)名“羊城淖”,元代叫“察罕腦兒”,忽必烈曾在此建“察罕腦兒行宮”,駐于此地的蒙古族便以“察罕腦兒”為部落名,“察哈爾”即“察罕腦兒”的音變。在蒙語中,湖泊被稱為“淖爾”,又作“諾爾”、“腦兒”。另外一種解釋則稱察哈爾為蒙語中“邊地”的讀音。自嘉靖年間,阿拉坦汗(俺答汗)的土默特部落稱霸漠南蒙古,元室后裔則率部遷徙至遼東關(guān)外,因處邊地,故此部落被稱為察哈爾。 無論察哈爾一詞源于哪種情況,有兩點(diǎn)是肯定的。其一,察哈爾所指為漠南蒙古察哈爾部,“察哈爾”是一個(gè)流動(dòng)的地理范圍。其次,“察哈爾”曾為北元皇室所在部,曾是蒙元文化的中心,故一些人將她稱為漠南蒙古的宗主部,在蒙古各部中占據(jù)重要地位(如今中國境內(nèi)的標(biāo)準(zhǔn)蒙語便是以察哈爾部正藍(lán)旗方言正音的)。 本文所指的察哈爾部——即察哈爾省的前身,其歷史是從康熙十四年開始的。明末,察哈爾部林丹汗成為漠南蒙古最強(qiáng)大的汗王,但因反抗清兵,最后慘敗,其子投降清廷。康熙十四年,察哈爾部布爾尼兄弟率眾反清,后被清政府鎮(zhèn)壓,其部落被安置在宣府、大同之外,于壩上放牧、壩下墾田。
二、清初——民初
清政府將固定下來的察哈爾部編制為兩翼八旗四牧群,即左翼(正藍(lán)、正白、鑲白、鑲黃),右翼(正黃、正紅、鑲紅、鑲藍(lán))、四牧群(上都達(dá)布遜牧場、牛羊群牧場、太仆寺左、右翼牧場)。為了更好地管理察哈爾八旗四牧群的生產(chǎn)生活,清政府相繼在今張家口萬全、張家口赤城、錫林郭勒多倫設(shè)立張家口廳、獨(dú)石口廳、多倫諾爾廳,即“口北三廳”。乾隆二十三年,又在張家口設(shè)立統(tǒng)領(lǐng)察哈爾八旗軍事的察哈爾都統(tǒng)。這些建制一直延續(xù)至民國初年。察哈爾八旗的地理位置位于如今的烏蘭察布盟、張家口市以及錫林郭勒盟三地交界,這三地亦是如今察哈爾文化的核心區(qū)。
民國三年,北洋政府改革清制,將口北3廳、錫林郭勒盟10旗、察哈爾12旗群及豐鎮(zhèn)等5縣編制為察哈爾特別行政區(qū),都統(tǒng)借駐張家口。民國十七年(1928),正式設(shè)立察哈爾省,省會(huì)張家口(蒙語名“卡拉根”,英文名KALGAN)。察哈爾省的省域范圍包括錫林郭勒盟、察哈爾十二旗群、宣化、赤城、萬全等口北道10縣,計(jì)轄19縣、1盟、18旗、4牧群。
三、偽蒙時(shí)期的察哈爾
1936年后,在日本人的挑唆下,以徳穆楚克棟魯普(德王)為頭目的蒙古貴族相繼在察哈爾地區(qū)建立察哈爾盟、蒙古聯(lián)盟自治政府、蒙疆聯(lián)合自治政府,偽蒙疆聯(lián)合自治政府以德王為主席,以張家口為首都,采用成吉思汗紀(jì)年,掛紅藍(lán)黃白四色旗,紅色居中象征日本,取“以日本為中心,大同協(xié)和漢、蒙、回各族”之意。至此,原察哈爾省的全部地區(qū)淪陷于此。 偽蒙疆聯(lián)合自治政府下轄巴彥塔拉、察哈爾、錫林郭勒、烏蘭察布、伊克昭等五個(gè)盟,張家口、厚和豪特(呼和浩特)、包頭3個(gè)特別市,大同、宣化兩個(gè)省。
四、新中國的察哈爾省
內(nèi)戰(zhàn)后,國民黨占領(lǐng)張家口,重組察哈爾省。1947年,內(nèi)蒙古宣布自治,錫林郭勒盟及察哈爾八旗歸屬內(nèi)蒙。49年后,經(jīng)華北人民政府批準(zhǔn),恢復(fù)察哈爾省建制,省會(huì)設(shè)張家口(這一時(shí)期,內(nèi)蒙古自治區(qū)省會(huì)也借設(shè)在張家口)。新察哈爾省轄雁北、察南、察北等7專區(qū)、53縣及張家口、大同2市。
1952年,中央政府決定撤銷察哈爾省建制。原察哈爾省被劃分為山西(雁北、大同、察南、豐鎮(zhèn))、河北(張家口、宣化)、北京(延慶),察哈爾省正式退出歷史舞臺(tái)。
五、張家口(卡拉根)的察哈爾文化
張家口地處塞北,自古漢蒙雜居,其文化構(gòu)成集合了山西、蒙古、北京三地風(fēng)俗,是“烏大張”(烏蘭察布、大同、張家口)文化帶的核心區(qū)域。張家口與察哈爾的關(guān)系需從壩上和壩下兩個(gè)區(qū)域進(jìn)行考察。
“壩”即河北向蒙古高原的過渡地帶,因海拔的不同,張家口被劃分為壩上和壩下兩個(gè)部分。壩上地區(qū)屬蒙古高原南緣,是遼闊的草原,而壩下則臨近京津,是典型的山區(qū)。壩上人自古以游牧為生,壩下人自古以農(nóng)耕為主。壩上傳統(tǒng)多信仰藏傳佛教,壩下多信仰漢傳佛教。壩上(康巴諾爾、沽源、張北)自古以來就是少數(shù)民族游牧區(qū),而壩下上谷(懷來)、宣府(宣化)、涿郡(涿鹿)、蔚州(蔚縣)皆是漢文化圈的歷史名城,故壩上壩下風(fēng)俗習(xí)慣存在一定差異。壩上康保、沽源、張北等縣原本就臨近或?qū)儆诓旃柊似熘?,故文化上更為接近蒙古。壩下各縣(即原屬宣府的河北省口北道10縣)歷史上多為關(guān)隘地區(qū)(如龍門衛(wèi)、野狐嶺、獨(dú)石口、鎖陽關(guān)),文化風(fēng)俗上具有一定的蒙漢交融特征,但整體上更接近于山西、北京(赤城、懷來接壤北京處)。 行政區(qū)劃的變更往往可以帶來一個(gè)地區(qū)文化的變遷。正是察哈爾省近代存在的歷史,使得壩上、壩下與蒙古、山西的文化進(jìn)一步交融,從而形成了如今區(qū)域概念上的察哈爾文化。 綜上,我們?cè)谑褂貌旃栁幕@個(gè)概念時(shí)至少包含兩層含義:其一是以察哈爾蒙古族為核心的察哈爾蒙古文化,其二是近代以來以察哈爾省區(qū)劃為范圍、以張家口為中心形成的融合了山西、蒙古、北京(河北)三地文化的察哈爾文化。 最后,張家口文化構(gòu)成中的山西部分還與明清以來山西人大量遷移至張家口壩上草原農(nóng)耕有關(guān),漢族人的北遷也促使蒙古人北遷,這也就是張家口壩上地區(qū)如今主要居民為漢族的原因(另一部分漢族人則是長期被漢族同化的蒙古族人,如在康保、張北、赤城等地)。
參考文獻(xiàn):
1、張家口文史資料:察哈爾紀(jì)事特輯
2、察哈爾省通志:口北三廳志
3、沽源縣志
4、內(nèi)蒙古正藍(lán)旗巴彥胡舒嘎查調(diào)查
Kalgan
China
Alternate titles: Chang-chia-k’ou, Wan-ch’uan, Zhangjiakou
By The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica ? Edit History
? ? ? ? ? ?
Kalgan, Chinese (Pinyin) Zhangjiakou, (Wade-Giles romanization) Chang-chia-k’ou, ?city in northwestern Hebei sheng (province), northern China. Kalgan, the name by which the city is most commonly known, is from a Mongolian word meaning “gate in a barrier,” or “frontier.” The city was colloquially known in Chinese as the Dongkou (“Eastern Entry”) into Hebei from Inner Mongolia. It is about 100 miles (160 km) northwest of Beijing. Pop. (2002 est.) city, 688,297; (2007 est.) urban agglom., 1,046,000.
History
Kalgan was the point at which the main caravan route from Beijing to Inner Mongolia and beyond passed through the Great Wall of China at the foot of the escarpments reaching up to the lower Mongolian Plateau. The Han dynasty (206 bce–220 ce) placed the region under Guangning county, the seat of which was slightly east of Kalgan, but the area remained only on the margins of effective Chinese control. During the Three Kingdoms (220–280) and the Xi (Western) Jin dynasty (265–316/317), it was the seat of a Wuhuan commandery. Later it became an important centre of the Xianbei, Mongol invaders of the 4th century. In 1429 the Ming dynasty (1368–1644) constructed a fort—the present-day Xia Bao (“Lower Fort”)—as part of the defenses against the Mongols. In 1613 the present LaiYuan Bao (“Upper Fort”) was built north of it as a trading centre. The town of Kalgan then grew up on the west bank of the Qingshui River, a tributary of the Yongding River, between the forts. The main trading centre was Kouwai, outside the north gate of the LaiYuan Bao.
Administratively, in Qing times (1644–1911/12), Kalgan was subordinated to Xuanhua, about 17 miles (27 km) south. It was the seat of a civil prefect and also of the military governor of the Mongols of Chahar, a former province of what is now Inner Mongolia.
Kalgan’s importance, however, was always primarily commercial—as the terminus of the principal caravan route to Mongolia and Russia, bearing most of the vast Siberian tea trade. In 1860, under the Sino-Russian Treaty, it was opened to Russian trade, and in 1902 it was opened to international trade. In 1911 the railway from Beijing reached Kalgan, and it was then steadily extended to the northwest. This was, however, the zenith of Kalgan’s international trade, when the city contained some 7,000 commercial firms and when the caravan traffic employed hundreds of thousands of camels, great numbers of ox wagons, and many thousands of men. After 1920, trade slumped because the Russian Revolution of 1917 and because political changes in Outer Mongolia had drastically reduced the importance of the caravan traffic. Civil disorder and banditry were rampant in the area north and west of Kalgan, while the extension of the railway to Hohhot in Inner Mongolia meant that Kalgan itself was no longer a railhead.
In 1937 the Japanese occupied the area and established an autonomous government, Cha-nan (South Chahar), at Kalgan. In 1937 the Federated Mengjiang Commission was set up at Kalgan to supervise the economic affairs, banking, communications, and industry of Japanese-occupied Inner Mongolia. Colonization by Chinese settlers was checked as part of the pro-Mongol policies pursued by the Japanese. After World War II the area was occupied by Chinese communists, and, although the Nationalist armies drove them out briefly, Kalgan was retaken in 1948. From 1948 to 1949, Kalgan was the capital of the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, although located outside its borders. In 1952, when Chahar province was abolished, Kalgan again became a part of Hebei province.
Although the traditional commercial dominance of Kalgan was diminished, it remained a political and strategic centre. After the foundation of the republic in 1911, it was given the name Wanquan county. In 1928 Kalgan was made the administrative capital of a new Chahar province, which accelerated the colonization of the area by Chinese settlers. By the early 1930s, Chinese settlers had pushed 75 miles (120 km) beyond Kalgan, causing great damage to the environment by destroying the natural pasture and bringing about extensive soil erosion.
The contemporary city
Some light industry—primarily the preparation of furs, leatherwork, tanning, and shoemaking—had already eXisted in the 1920s and ’30s. Light industry and food processing were also encouraged under the Japanese occupation. After the establishment of the People’s Republic of China in 1949, Kalgan developed rapidly, its population trebling between 1948 and 1958. Kalgan’s proXimity to the ranching area and the rich coal and iron mines in its vicinity meant the rapid growth of coal mining, metallurgical, machine-making (mostly mining machines), and power industries. In addition, it is still an important centre of fur processing and tanning; other manufactures include woolen fabric, cigarettes, and processed food. An expressway built in the 1990s connects the city with Beijing.
There are numerous historical sites in and around Kalgan. North of the city, near the town of Zhangbei, are the ruins of Zhongdu, the former middle capital of the Yuan dynasty (1206–1368). Southwest of the city, near the Sanggan River in the Nihewan Basin, are a group of sites that have been identified as being of Paleolithic to Neolithic age.
This article was most recently revised and updated by Amy Tikkanen.
Xuanhua
district, China
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Alternate titles: Hsüan-hua
By The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica ? Edit History
? ? ? ? ? ?
Xuanhua, Wade-Giles romanization Hsüan-hua, ?former city, northwestern Hebei sheng (province), China. In 1963 it was incorporated into Kalgan (Zhangjiakou), becoming a district of that city. Xuanhua district is situated some 25 miles (40 km) southeast of central Kalgan, on the upper course of the Yang River.
In former times the settlement was in a border district, just inside the Great Wall, between the Inner Mongolian pasturelands and the area of Chinese settlement. Under both the Han (206 bce–220 ce) and Tang (618–907) dynasties, it was a strategic frontier prefecture. In 938 it was occupied by the Liao dynasty, and for the next four centuries it was an important administrative centre for successive dynasties of conquest. With the beginning of the Ming dynasty (1368–1644), it once more became a Chinese frontier post. In 1430 Xuanhua became the headquarters of the military command of the northwestern defenses against the Mongols. Under the Qing dynasty (1644–1911/12) Xuanhua remained a large, well-fortified city and a strategic and administrative centre, but the neighbouring city of Kalgan surpassed it as a commercial centre in the 19th century and had totally eclipsed it by the end of the Qing period. Xuanhua remained a secondary collecting centre for grain, wool, hides, and vegetable oils, which were marketed largely by rail via Beijing, in Tianjin.
In the 20th century Xuanhua developed mainly as an industrial centre. In 1918 the ?Longyan (Lung-yen) Iron and Steel Company, a joint state-private enterprise, set up an ironworks there based on the production of nearby iron-ore mines. In the early days, coking coal for the plant had to be hauled by rail some 250 miles (400 km) from sites in ShanXi province. The mines were further developed during the 1950s and ’60s, though, and by the early 1970s, coal was being obtained from nearer locations. Xuanhua now mainly produces pig iron, which is processed at iron- and steelworks in other cities. Factories producing iron and steel, cement, machinery, chemicals, and textiles are located in the eastern and western sections of the district. Xuanhua yields quality grapes and wine. Notable examples of ancient architecture still stand in historical central Xuanhua, including QingYuan Tower, ?Zhensu Tower, Gongji Pavilion, and the Lihua Monastery, with its brick pagoda.